From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Client-serve flags (again ;) (was Re: New eclass: gkrellm-plugin)
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 11:10:15
1 Jim Ramsay wrote:
2 > I suppose the alternative would be to split the ebuild into 'gkrellm'
3 > and 'gkrellmd' ebuilds, which would indeed remove the need for the
4 > 'built_with_use' check. How is this normally done for other packages
5 > that have, for example, both a client and server part?
6 >
7 Well mysql uses the minimal flag to only build client part. There has been
8 some discussion about this, as the minimal flag is actually for:
9 minimal - Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins,
10 fonts, most drivers, non-critical features)
11 and this is mis-use of the flag. When it was first discussed iirc it was
12 only supposed to be a temporary thing. There has seemed to be support from
13 devs and users for client and server flags. The following all use the
14 server flag locally:
15 dev-ruby/rubygems, dev-util/cvs, games-strategy/wesnoth, net-misc/tightvnc
16 net-misc/vnc, sci-astronomy/setiathome, sci-mathematics/yacas,
17 sci-misc/boinc, sys-cluster/torque
18 Hmm, I didn't know that cvs needed the server flag :D
19 As a user I think the flags make sense as global options; although only
20 net-misc/bird uses client atm, the distinction would make sense for eg
21 mySQL, LDAP, samba and a whole host of pkgs.
22
23 I don't know how it would work technically, how difficult it would be, or
24 indeed if anyone is prepared to do the work, besides maybe some of the
25 users.
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list