From: Eray Aslan <eras@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new category for container related packages, instead of app-emulation
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 11:37:49
1 On Sat, Aug 07, 2021 at 01:17:00AM -0400, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 07, 2021 at 05:56:55AM +0100, Sam James wrote:
5 > > > On 6 Aug 2021, at 23:27, Louis Sautier <sbraz@g.o> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > On 06/08/2021 02:57, Alec Warner wrote:
8 > > >> Do people actually care what category things are in? I just use
9 > > >> --search or eix or whatever and the category is just this...bad
10 > > >> concept we attach to packages for silly historical reasons..
11 > > >
12 > > > I also care about categories: if I want to find a Python MySQL library, I'll run "eix -C dev-python mysql" (3 results) instead of a plain "eix mysql" (33 results). And, as William said, they really help with ambiguous package names such as docker.
13 > >
14 > > This is definitely my approach too.
15 > >
16 > > Anyway, I'm supportive of the new category. If it makes things clearer for people, why not?
17 >
18 > While it wouldn't hurt to consider revisiting the system eventually
19 > (mostly to avoid pkgmoves), I feel that's not a debate that needs to
20 > come up every time consider new categories given they're still cheap
21 > to add and a system change wouldn't happen overnight.
22
23 Categories are just one piece of metadata about the package and
24 incorporating - one somewhat arbitrary - metadata in a name is in
25 general not a good idea. I think that was all Alec was saying and I tend
26 to agree.
27
28 But it is not an easy fix so go ahead afaic.
31 Eray