From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new category for container related packages, instead of app-emulation
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 05:17:19
1 On Sat, Aug 07, 2021 at 05:56:55AM +0100, Sam James wrote:
4 > > On 6 Aug 2021, at 23:27, Louis Sautier <sbraz@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On 06/08/2021 02:57, Alec Warner wrote:
7 > >> On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 2:44 PM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> wrote:
8 > >>> Hi,
9 > >>>
10 > >>> We've been collecting more and more container related packages in
11 > >>> app-emulation/*
12 > >>>
13 > >>> What do you think about finally moving those packages to separate category?
14 > >> As always my opinion is that:
15 > >>
16 > >> (a) Categories were a design mistake.
17 > >> (b) The mistake is hard to fix.
18 > >> (c) It's basically low-value to try to 'correctly' categorize packages
19 > >> because of A.
20 > >> (d) Recategorizing means a bunch of stuff has to be updated.
21 > >>
22 > >> Do people actually care what category things are in? I just use
23 > >> --search or eix or whatever and the category is just this...bad
24 > >> concept we attach to packages for silly historical reasons..
25 > >>
26 > >> -A
27 > >
28 > > Hi,
29 > >
30 > > I also care about categories: if I want to find a Python MySQL library, I'll run "eix -C dev-python mysql" (3 results) instead of a plain "eix mysql" (33 results). And, as William said, they really help with ambiguous package names such as docker.
31 >
32 > This is definitely my approach too.
33 >
34 > Anyway, I'm supportive of the new category. If it makes things clearer for people, why not?
35
36 How I feel as well.
37
38 While it wouldn't hurt to consider revisiting the system eventually
39 (mostly to avoid pkgmoves), I feel that's not a debate that needs to
40 come up every time consider new categories given they're still cheap
41 to add and a system change wouldn't happen overnight.
42
43 So I'd say just go for it.
46 ionen