From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new category for container related packages, instead of app-emulation
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 04:57:15
1 > On 6 Aug 2021, at 23:27, Louis Sautier <sbraz@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 06/08/2021 02:57, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >> On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 2:44 PM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> We've been collecting more and more container related packages in
8 >>> app-emulation/*
9 >>>
10 >>> What do you think about finally moving those packages to separate category?
11 >> As always my opinion is that:
12 >>
13 >> (a) Categories were a design mistake.
14 >> (b) The mistake is hard to fix.
15 >> (c) It's basically low-value to try to 'correctly' categorize packages
16 >> because of A.
17 >> (d) Recategorizing means a bunch of stuff has to be updated.
18 >>
19 >> Do people actually care what category things are in? I just use
20 >> --search or eix or whatever and the category is just this...bad
21 >> concept we attach to packages for silly historical reasons..
22 >>
23 >> -A
24 >
25 > Hi,
26 >
27 > I also care about categories: if I want to find a Python MySQL library, I'll run "eix -C dev-python mysql" (3 results) instead of a plain "eix mysql" (33 results). And, as William said, they really help with ambiguous package names such as docker.
28
29 This is definitely my approach too.
30
31 Anyway, I'm supportive of the new category. If it makes things clearer for people, why not?
32
33 best,
34 sam