From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 17:55:16
1 On Sat, 16 May 2009 22:39:46 +0530
2 Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 17:59 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > > Don't care. Let's fix the problems we have *now* using solutions
5 > > > that we can agree upon, rather than try to foist solutions that a
6 > > > reasonably large population of developers *don't* like (even after
7 > > > extended debate) to solve problems that don't exist yet.
8 > >
9 > > No, let's fix it so we don't have to do the whole thing again in
10 > > another year or two.
11 >
12 > I see nothing about the current problem that merits the fooling around
13 > with the ebuild extension. I've listened to and considered all the
14 > arguments that have been made, and I still stand by my opinion that it
15 > an unclean solution (meaning, we don't need to rehash those arguments
16 > again here).
17
18 You have yet to provide an alternative for fixing the arbitrary and
19 pointless version format restrictions that are currently in place.
20
21 > I think it makes far more sense to work towards agreeing on a solution
22 > rather than restating the same arguments every 6 months and reaching
23 > the same impasse.
24
25 We only have one viable solution.
28 Ciaran McCreesh