From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 17:09:56
1 On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 17:59 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 [...]
3 > > Don't care. Let's fix the problems we have *now* using solutions that
4 > > we can agree upon, rather than try to foist solutions that a
5 > > reasonably large population of developers *don't* like (even after
6 > > extended debate) to solve problems that don't exist yet.
7 >
8 > No, let's fix it so we don't have to do the whole thing again in
9 > another year or two.
10
11 I see nothing about the current problem that merits the fooling around
12 with the ebuild extension. I've listened to and considered all the
13 arguments that have been made, and I still stand by my opinion that it
14 an unclean solution (meaning, we don't need to rehash those arguments
15 again here).
16
17 Bottom line, we (everyone who has been on this discussion from the
18 beginning) disagree. Just as we did a year ago. Standing steadfast on
19 the filename extension just means that all the version format problems
20 that you're trying to solve are going to stand blocked because of it.
21
22 I think it makes far more sense to work towards agreeing on a solution
23 rather than restating the same arguments every 6 months and reaching the
24 same impasse.
25
26 -- Arun