From: Fabian Zeindl <fabian@×××××××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gstreamer + Use Flags
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:52:21
1 On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:33:53 -0500, Brian Harring wrote
2 > As stated in 100872, any solution involving centralizing the use
3 > flags on gstreamer requires use deps.
4 >
5 > Can't centralize the use flags on gstreamer till they're available,
6 > without doing something QA has every right to wedgie you for
7 > (build_with_use die's in pkg_setup).
8
9 Not at all. As you see in the answer from Carsten Lohrke on 100872
10 centralizing use flags has nothing to do with use deps in this case (gstreamer).
11
12 "The point is that as soon as a plugin is available to one application it's
13 available to all - despite of having the corresponding use flagged dependency
14 set or not. That's a) illogical and b) when users uninstall a plugin they did
15 not depend on for one application, but are used to it in between because it
16 was invoked by another ebuild, you run into exactly the same problem (and
17 possible "bug" reports): Users who don't know how their applications with
18 gstreamer work."
19
20 fabian
24 ... I want something good to die for
25 To make it beautiful to live.
26 I want a new mistake, lose is more than hesitate.
27 Do you believe it in your head?
28
29 - Queens of the Stone Age - "Go with the Flow"
30
31 I prefer signed/encrypted Mail (even if I can't write it myself at
32 the moment due to OpenWebMail deficiencies):
33 Fingerprint: CFE8 38A7 0BC4 3CB0 E454 FA8D 04F9 B3B6 E02D 25BA
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list