From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] zoom concerns
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 00:53:55
1 On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 5:18 PM Alessandro Barbieri <lssndrbarbieri@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > I have concerns about the inclusion of zoom in ::gentoo. For me it's more
5 > like a malware.
6 > From the hacker news feed you'll find out that:
9 > [1] zero day vulnerability found
10 >
11 [2] passwords are truncated to 32 bit
12 >
13 [3] previously sent data to facebook
14 >
15 [4] end to end traffic isn't encrypted
16 > [5] signed binary run unsigned script
19 [1], [2], [5] all seem like bugs and I'd expect upstream to fix at least
20 [1] and [5]. Note that in Gentoo [3] isn't directly relevant (this isn't
21 iOS) and neither is [5] in most cases as people don't run signed binaries
22 or use any kind of binary whitelisting in Gentoo.
23
24 [2] I think the article mentions the truncation is to 32 bytes (or '32
25 chars', but I assume each char is 1 byte for entropy sake.); not 32 bits.
26 Most password fields have a length limit (you cannot accept arbitrary long
27 passwords. If 32 characters isn't enough length to protect users then the
28 passwords are going to be useless anyway; most user passwords are
29 significantly less than 32 characters. This is significantly different than
30 limited to '32 bits' (which is 4 characters!) and would make brute forcing
31 passwords an obvious breeze; there is not sufficient entropy in 32 bits to
32 protect users.
33
34 [4] I agree the poor marketing is a problem. I think as Rich states later
35 in the thread it's possible we could provide more information here. As he
36 notes though, I'm not convinced this is reason not to package the software
37 in Gentoo from a policy perspective.
38
39 In general I expect that as long as Zoom has a gentoo maintainer and
40 upstream actually resolves outstanding security issues; I'm not really
41 aware of any policy hurdles they need to overcome to stay packaged in
42 Gentoo. Currently it has three maintainers[6]. If it sucks, convince them
43 to stop maintaining it ;)
44
45 -A
49 > 1 https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/01/zoom-doom/?guccounter=1