From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: All Developers!
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:28:38
1 On Sat, 2001-11-10 at 18:03, Andreas Voegele wrote:
2 > Mikael Hallendal writes:
3 >
4 > > We should write some spec. on how ebuilds should look like
5 > > (guidelines for style) and then make a emacs and a vi mode for
6 > > editing ebuilds that controls the style.
7 >
8 > If only tabs and *no* spaces were allowed at the beginning of lines it
9 > would be very easy to check ebuild scripts for wrong spaces.
10 >
11 > We could rip the required code from the Emacs Makefile mode, which
12 > checks for suspicious tabs and highlights these areas when a user
13 > tries to save the Makefile.
14 >
15 > BTW, if a single tab was used in front of dependencies the output
16 > would look like this:
17 >
18 > tabwidth 4:
19 >
20 > DEPEND="virtual/glibc
21 > virtual/x11
22 > RDEPEND="virtual/glibc
23 > virtual/x11
24 >
25 > tabwidth 8:
26 >
27 > DEPEND="virtual/glibc
28 > virtual/x11
29 > RDEPEND="virtual/glibc
30 > virtual/x11
31 >
32 > IMHO both outputs look good, and with this solution developers could
33 > still set the tabwidth to 4 or 8.
34 >
35 > --
36 > Andreas
37
38 true, but that is not a problem, take for instance:
39
40 make prefix=${D}/usr \
41 sysconfdir=${D}/etc \
42 localstatedir=${D}/var/lib \
43 install || die
44
45 this is how Hallski and I do things (with a tabwidth of 8)
46
47 Now take the same piece with a tabwidht of 4:
48 make prefix=${D}/usr \
49 sysconfdir=${D}/etc \
50 localstatedir=${D}/var/lib \
51 install || die
52
53 The '\' is not aligned anymore. this is however a simple example, as
54 other ebuilds gets ripped out of form more.
57 Greetings,
60 Martin Schlemmer
61 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
62 Cape Town, South Africa