From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:31:13
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 22:35:25 -0700
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Did anyone already propose specifying this in metadata.xml?
5 >
6 > Yup. That's a no-go, since metadata.xml is quite rightly treated as
7 > being "not suitable for anything the package manager really needs".
8
9 I think a separate file, especially one that uses a standard XML format,
10 would be a fine place for things that the PM needs. Just because we do
11 not use it this way now does not mean it is not a good idea. Also, the
12 EAPI would be out-of-band and not require sourcing of the bash script to
13 determine.
14
15 > It also moves the EAPI definition even further away from the ebuild,
16 > which makes it even harder to work with.
17
18 Harder to work with in what way?
19
20 > And, of course, it's not backwards compatible, so it'd still need a
21 > file extension change.
22
23 I am not convinced of this. As others have stated, portage/PM should be
24 upgraded with the new capability well in advance of new EAPIs.
25
26 -Joe
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list