From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:06:18
1 On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 14:54 +0100, Sven Köhler wrote:
2 > I think that i clearly explained several times, that bootstrap.sh
3 > installs gcc 3.4 _without_ removing the crippled gcc 3.3 that came with
4 > stage1.
5
6 You are absolutely correct. We will need to investigate the best
7 solution for this. The reason the old compiler is not removed currently
8 is because of them being in a different SLOT, and therefore protected
9 from being unmerged by "clean" actions.
10
11 > > If a stage1 install does not remove a 3.3.x bootstrap compiler when a 3.4 is
12 > > used as the main, that is a bug in the bootstrap script. As such it should be
13 > > fixed.
14 >
15 > So i see that you seem to agree with me! The crippled gcc contained in
16 > the stage1 has to be removed by bootstrap.sh - and this is not done
17 > automatically by the steps that bootstrap.sh performs.
18
19 I agree also. I would also like to state that until this email, that I
20 had no idea that this was what you were describing.
21
22 I'll get right on a possible solution.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
27 x86 Architecture Team
28 Games - Developer