From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: How a proper server profile should look like (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:09:34
1 On Jan 17, 2013 3:35 AM, "Dirkjan Ochtman" <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
4 wrote:
5 > > If someone wants a *REALLY* basic system, they can start off with
6 > > USE="-*" and add on stuff as necessary when portage complains and/or
7 > > ebuilds break. That's what I'd recommend to someone wanting to set up a
8 > > "basic server" machine.
9 >
10 > Yeah, but that sucks with USE_EXPAND. For example, I sure want some
11 > version of Python installed, but setting USE="-*" removes all support
12 > for Python versions and has me add them one by one. I guess I could do
13 > that, but now I always have to keep up to date myself, which sucks.
14 >
15 > Cheers,
16 >
17 > Dirkjan
20 My thought is that base should have just enough enabled for stage3 to be
21 self-hosting. Moving existing base to something like "common" would retain
22 a profile for that "most people would want this" set.