From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: How a proper server profile should look like (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 04:48:39
1 On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 07:09:29AM -0500, Michael Mol wrote
2 > On Jan 17, 2013 3:35 AM, "Dirkjan Ochtman" <djc@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
5 > wrote:
6 > > > If someone wants a *REALLY* basic system, they can start off with
7 > > > USE="-*" and add on stuff as necessary when portage complains and/or
8 > > > ebuilds break. That's what I'd recommend to someone wanting to set up a
9 > > > "basic server" machine.
10 > >
11 > > Yeah, but that sucks with USE_EXPAND. For example, I sure want some
12 > > version of Python installed, but setting USE="-*" removes all support
13 > > for Python versions and has me add them one by one. I guess I could do
14 > > that, but now I always have to keep up to date myself, which sucks.
15 >
16 > My thought is that base should have just enough enabled for stage3 to be
17 > self-hosting. Moving existing base to something like "common" would retain
18 > a profile for that "most people would want this" set.
19
20 On a lark, I once tried the "default/linux/x86/10.0" profile for a
21 re-install on my netbook without "-*". I soon ended up with more "-"
22 entries in make.conf and package.use, than I have add-on entries when
23 using "-*". And I was only half-way through installing the apps I
24 normally use. I went back to "-*".
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications