From: Panagiotis Christopoulos <pchrist@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: How a proper server profile should look like (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 15:15:44
1 On 23:47 Sat 19 Jan , Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > ...
3 > On a lark, I once tried the "default/linux/x86/10.0" profile for a
4 > re-install on my netbook without "-*". I soon ended up with more "-"
5 > entries in make.conf and package.use, than I have add-on entries when
6 > using "-*". And I was only half-way through installing the apps I
7 > normally use. I went back to "-*".
10 I have to admit that I've been using USE="-* <myflags>" in my server boxes for a long
11 time now, however it's a nasty hack and I wish for a better alternative.
12 Profiles exist for reasons, bypassing them may break things unless you
13 know what you're doing and you're active in Gentoo's community (so that
14 have knowledge of certain bugs/news/discussions in mailing lists etc.).
15
16 The problem is not with experienced users who can find their way. It is
17 with newcomers. I like the idea of having minimal base profiles and on
18 top of them desktop and/or server profiles enabling certain things.
19 Because newcomers will not have to scratch their heads (as I wrote
20 previously) from the first moment, if they enable one of them.
21
22 Of course, even experienced users sometimes may become frustrated,
23 when doing everything manually. (-* etc.). And things become more
24 complex as time passes (new EAPIs, new portage features).
25
26 This thread is about suggestions on better server profiles and need to
27 think about that. For example,I would like to see a server profile with
28 iptables and iproute2 on the system set. Maybe also a logger or
29 a metapackage pulling certain packages (eg. bind-tools and nfs-utils).
30 But it's just me, and it's a matter of taste/experience. I don't build
31 server machines every day, others do and it would be much appreciated if
32 they could respond here.
33
34 Just, let's don't forget that profiles are not only about USE flags
35 (because most discussions have been about the latter).
36 --
37 Panagiotis Christopoulos ( pchrist )
38 ( Gentoo Lisp Project )