From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] sys-meta/* to own and control /bin/{cpio,sh,tar,...} symlinks (alternatives-ish)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 02:05:54
1 On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 01:32:04AM +0000, Alexey Sokolov wrote:
2 > > However, I tend to agree that the category should be named app-meta
3 > > rather than sys-meta, because chances are that non-system packages will
4 > > also make use of it.
5 > >
6 > > Ulrich
7 >
8 > Since these packages manage symlinks, make it app-symlink?
9
10 Mentioned this in another post, but this is limiting what would make
11 sense to be in there further.
12
13 app -> what if it's library alternatives?
14 symlink -> what if we need to use wrappers or some other solution?
15
16 Not that we ever really match categories perfectly either way, but
17 may as well stay generic rather than mismatch or create multiple
18 sub-types.
19
20 Some random ideas I had were 'alternatives', 'meta', 'select'
21 'select-meta', not that I thought much about it.
22
23 'meta' would essentially be like an entirely generic 'virtual' but
24 just without PMS restrictions. While the ones with alternatives or
25 select are more descriptive of what it's for without saying anything
26 about how we're doing it or for what type of package.
27 --
28 ionen