From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:23:14
1 On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 03:56:08PM -0500, Dave Shanker wrote:
2 > What about Portage auto generating a upgrade file
3 > (/usr/portage/notices (like it does with it's cache) and then
4 > providing a notice at the end of an emerge than lets the user know
5 > it's there and how to read it. We could even provide a switch in
6 > portage to read the file and display the notices (emerge
7 > --readnotice).
8
9 I suggest y'all work out how you're going to push news, news items,
10 how it's going to be filterable for those who don't want to see php,
11 etc, rather then talking about emerge doing differing things...
12
13 emerge --news sounds nice and fluffy without getting into the
14 questions above, where it's going to be shoved into the tree (how it's
15 going to work for remote trees), etc.
16 ~harring