From: Albert Zeyer <albert.zeyer@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dedicated USE-flag is inconsequent and confusing
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:24:48
1 On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 15:42 +0200, Benedikt Morbach wrote:
2 > I think it should be made consistent or it should be turned into a
3 > local use flag.
4 > no-* or *-only flag don't make sense in my opinion, because you can
5 > get the same with:
6 > -gui instead of nogui (maybe -gtk/-qt4/-kde or something would be even better)
7 > -* server instead of server-only (sure, this can only be done for each
8 > single package, but it looks cleaner to me than -only)
9 >
10 > Benedikt
11
12 Some packages also have the X USE-flag.
13
14 Though this USE-flag is often used to enable linking against X;
15 disabling doesn't mean to remove the GUI (it's often for games or libs
16 like libsdl which have alternative gfx output like aalib, framebuffer,
17 etc.).
18
19 There is also already a guionly and a client-only USE-flag. But I don't
20 think this is a good USE-flag for games because it's somehow confusing
21 then if you want to have only the dedicated server and not the GUI.
22
23 I also don't like no* USE-flags that much. But there are already a lot
24 available. I thought they were introduced because it's most probable
25 that you want to have the specific support and if not, you have to
26 specify this explicitly.
27
28 I think the server USE-flag is a good USE-flag to enable/disable the
29 support of a dedicated server of a specific game. This USE-flag is
30 intuitivly clear.
31
32 The GUI would not depend on the server USE-flag. For the GUI, perhaps
33 the USE-flag client would be good.
37 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list