From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New install isos needed
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:49:37
1 Hi!
2
3 On Mon, 25 Mar 2013, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
4 > I don't think it seems easy. But nor does devoting time to a CD
5 > that will only serve the purpose of installing Gentoo on these
6 > architectures. Additionally, that strikes me as seriously
7 > pointless if contributing to SysRescCd is a real alternative.
8
9 Thing is that SRCD does a lot more things than our mini ISO does.
10 As a result, keeping it going on half a dozen architectures is
11 more work than maintaining our arguably very simple images. There
12 is a reason why we abandoned making the "fat" install images a
13 while back and now only do them as one-offs for special events
14 (like the 10y anniversary).
15
16 While using SRCD will add manpower to our image-making, its
17 userbase will add constraints (X, Y and Z need to keep working,
18 even if we and our users never use it). I'm not sure it's a net
19 benefit in widening the audience several orders of magnitude more
20 than widening the developer pool.
21
22 Regards,
23 Tobias
27 "Brain, konban wa nani o shimashitai?"
28 "Your Japanese is terrible, Pinky."