From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.2 Feature Requests
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 23:47:27
1 On Sat, 01 May 2004 15:10:25 -0400
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 20:37, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
5 > > > Hi all -
6 > > > To start preparing for 2004.2 in July, releng is opening up Feature
7 > > > Requests that the community would like to see included in 2004.2. The
8 > > > last day that we are accepting requests is Friday, May 7th at which
9 > > > point releng will hold a meeting and decide which requests are
10 > > > feasible for both the alloted time and workload.
11 > >
12 > > The biggest issues I've had with current and prior gentoo releases is the kernel. I've configured a couple dozen dell boxes of different models over the last 6 months using 1.4, 2004.0, and 2004.1, and invariably one or more of the following occurs:
13 > >
14 > > - smp kernel locks up completely during hardware detection.
15 >
16 > I find that "smp nohotplug doscsi" seems to be the best bet on any of
17 > the Dell/Compaq/HP servers that I have dealt with recently.
18 >
19 > > - basic gentoo kernel runs, but doesn't always autodetect raid or network drivers
20 > > - forced migration to lvm2, because the kernel is configured in 2004.0 for lvm2
21 > > - 1-3 processors are idle during system installs because of various smp/apic issues
22 >
23 > See above...
24 >
25 > > Most of these problems would go away if there was a simple documented way to allow users to substitute in their own kernels. Improving the QA process would help, of course, but I doubt the release eng team has time for this.
26 >
27 > There would be no real way to substitute a kernel, since the livecd is a
28 > read-only environment. You could build your own CDs via catalyst with
29 > any kernel you choose. I know that is not the best answer, but the
30 > truth is we try our best to come up with a release that meets the most
31 > possible configurations. There are many cases where the CD simply
32 > doesn't work, and that is a QA issue, but it is definitely something we
33 > are striving to improve.
34 >
35 > > I know that the new catalyst system is supposed to make things easier, and I'm researching that now...but it definitly doesn't appear to be as simple as it could be. I'd really like to see future releases work out of the box for Dell servers.
36 >
37 > Catalyst makes building a live CD easier, but it doesn't do QA for you.
38 > This is especially true of the kernels on the CD. The only thing that
39 > really does any good is testing. Perhaps you should join the
40 > gentoo-releng mailing list and help with testing on the next release.
41 > The more machines the beta live CD get exposure to, the more bugs get
42 > resolved before release.
43
44 How about publishing the .spec files that have been used to make the
45 releases, so that those who want to make their own CD with their own
46 kernel, or extra features like distcc, can do so.
47
48 I have recently made a distcc livecd, and used a combination of the
49 example catalyst specs (USE="doc" emerge catalyst), hand coding of the
50 chroot install image etc. It would have been easier if I had the actual
51 2004.1 .spec files and a decent howto on catalyst (ie a howto for
52 people who are not already in the know.) My livecd is largely a hack and
53 I don't know if i could repeat it. Of course during this time catalyst
54 has gone from 1.04 to 1.07 and 2004.1 has been released. But hey
55 it certainly was easier than using livecd-ng this time a year ago!
56
57 Not being critical, but catalyst has great potential for all sorts of
58 things, its just that IMHO its not that easy to get to grips with.
59
60 Anyway, publication of the .spec files would surely enhance the
61 "open-ness" of the release cycle.
62
63 (Maybe the .spec files are released, but I don't know where to find them?)
67 > --
68 > Chris Gianelloni
69 > Developer, Gentoo Linux
70 > Games Team