From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.2 Feature Requests
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 23:55:56
1 On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 19:46, Nick Rout wrote:
2
3 > How about publishing the .spec files that have been used to make the
4 > releases, so that those who want to make their own CD with their own
5 > kernel, or extra features like distcc, can do so.
6 >
7 > I have recently made a distcc livecd, and used a combination of the
8 > example catalyst specs (USE="doc" emerge catalyst), hand coding of the
9 > chroot install image etc. It would have been easier if I had the actual
10 > 2004.1 .spec files and a decent howto on catalyst (ie a howto for
11 > people who are not already in the know.) My livecd is largely a hack and
12 > I don't know if i could repeat it. Of course during this time catalyst
13 > has gone from 1.04 to 1.07 and 2004.1 has been released. But hey
14 > it certainly was easier than using livecd-ng this time a year ago!
15 >
16 > Not being critical, but catalyst has great potential for all sorts of
17 > things, its just that IMHO its not that easy to get to grips with.
18 >
19 > Anyway, publication of the .spec files would surely enhance the
20 > "open-ness" of the release cycle.
21 >
22 > (Maybe the .spec files are released, but I don't know where to find them?)
23
24 Nick -
25 There is a livecd stage1 template specfile linked off of the release
26 guidelines (which are linked off of the releng project page
27 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng). As for livecd stage2, we can
28 surely work on including those either in the release notes or on the cd
29 itself.
30
31 Catalyst documentation is in the works. In my spare time (heh) I am
32 writing up a comprehensive Catalyst howto - right now it only covers
33 stages, but after finals are done I am going to try and complete it. You
34 can find it at
35 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/docs/catalyst-howto.xml.
36
37 Hope this helps!
38
39 Cheers,
40 //zhen
41 --
42 John Davis
43 Gentoo Linux Developer
44 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
45
46 ----
47 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
48 Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338 FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47