From: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:53:38
1 On 8/16/2012 4:59 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> It also sounds like something like that could be a benefit to shrinking @system.
6 > I think the solution to the circular dependency issue isn't to make
7 > Portage able to completely bootstrap the whole system, but rather just
8 > to make it capable of coping with the issues and knowing when to raise
9 > an alarm.
10 >
11 > Gentoo will always involve extracting a tarball/etc for the initial
12 > installation since you always need SOMETHING to start with. You can't
13 > even chroot into your install directory without a shell being there,
14 > and typing "emerge" won't go so well if portage isn't actually
15 > installed.
16 >
17 > So, continue to build stages like we do right now - no doubt with
18 > hard-coding and such to get around the dependencies.
19 >
20 > As far as objections to listing gcc and such in every ebuild go, why
21 > not? We list all kinds of routine stuff in hundreds of ebuilds so
22 > that we can install systems without them. Why not just have a
23 > toolchain virtual or something?
24 >
25 > And since ssh was brought up - this is what happens with hacks like
26 > this. When you combine the "default install" with the "minimum deps
27 > for everything" list you end up with an ssh you can't get rid of
28 > without the package.provided hack (which really should be used for
29 > stuff that is, well, provided).
30 >
31 > It would be nice if people who want to build a server with Gentoo but
32 > then reduce it to only true RDEPENDS could do so. Obviously they'd
33 > have to use binary packages to continue to maintain it (and even then
34 > they'd need to keep portage on it), or they'd have to build another
35 > one. Actually, the trend in general is towards disposable servers
36 > anyway so generating an entire new server every time one thing changes
37 > is probably a desirable thing, since you probably want to be able to
38 > do it every time you add a server anyway.
39
40 tldr: I like, approve and otherwise +1 the idea of somehow paring down
41 or eliminating @system but I think it's going to be fairly challenging,
42 so more discussion on this topic is warranted in my humble non-developer
43 opinion :)
47 I really like everything you have to say here. Unfortunately,
48 assumptions of toolchain availability have gotten into the DNA of Gentoo
49 in ways that make it nontrivial -- although probably not rocket science,
50 either -- to implement these ideas.
51
52 I'd say it's the kind of thing where somebody needs to do the work. I
53 think there is demand for this, but when it comes down to brass tacks,
54 people who really need features like this can just write a script to
55 push some tarballs or files around in a way that's "good enough" for
56 their purposes. What is the cost/bene for a single sys-admin to do all
57 the work and politics of making this change?
58
59 However, staying with the cost/bene theme, we have here a kind of
60 externality, as they say in economics, (which is a fancy way, I guess,
61 of saying a bad decision or a raw deal), because, in the aggregate, I
62 think it's pretty clear that the cost/bene favors doing that work.
63
64 To be clear, I don't have religion about getting rid of @system, per-se,
65 but I do have religion about the stuff Larry the Cow told me when I
66 first visited the Gentoo homepage in 2001, or whenever, which was,
67 basically, that the software I was using had a bunch of frobs that I
68 couldn't touch, because I was running an rpm- or .deb-based system, and
69 that Gentoo was going to let me frob them.
70
71 It's not a total disaster, even now -- a determined sysadmin can
72 absolutely do this right now with features like prefix, ROOT, binpkg and
73 so forth.... but /really/ fixing this, so that non-standard/minimal
74 setups "just work", would allow Gentoo to effectively address a whole
75 bunch of really practical, real-world use-cases -- use-cases Gentoo is
76 in many aspects uniquely suited to address, due to Larry the Cow's
77 brilliant insights -- yet, by-and-large, due to precisely this @system
78 thing and the package-management decisions that have stemmed from it,
79 for which Gentoo has become unsuitable or impractical.
80
81 Specifically, I'm talking, here, about managed LAMP servers, big-data
82 clusters, and embedded.
83
84 I suppose I'm not doing much to fix it by ranting and raving like this
85 however. So see first paragraph :)
86
87 -gmt