From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] as-needed patch for ltmain.sh
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 13:29:43
1 On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 13:22:11 +0100
2 Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 11:06:52 +0000
5 > James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 11:55:46 +0100
8 > > Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > Hello,
11 > > > I have a question to the patch provided by the package
12 > > > app-portage/elt-patches, namely the file as-needed/2.4.3
13 > > >
14 > > > Here I can see the following being added to ltmain.sh:
15 > > > + -Wl,--as-needed|-Wl,--no-as-needed)
16 > > > + deplibs="$deplibs $arg"
17 > > > + continue
18 > > > + ;;
19 > > > +
20 > > >
21 > > > In my understanding the order must be the opposite otherwise it has
22 > > > no effect to $deplibs, i.e. the line should be deplibs="$arg
23 > > > $deplibs".
24 > >
25 > > It's been like that in every version of the patch so it's probably
26 > > like that for a reason though I don't know what that reason is. This
27 > > is interesting as I gather the whole reason for the patch is that an
28 > > unpatched libtool inserts the flag in the wrong place.
31 > Should I file a bug for this behaviour, or is this correct behaviour?
32
33 I'm hoping someone more knowledgable will comment but everyone
34 (except me!) is at FOSDEM at the moment.
37 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
38 Gentoo Linux Developer