From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council meeting, Thursday 15th, 1900 UTC
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:43:06
1 Jon Portnoy wrote: [Tue Sep 13 2005, 11:22:32AM CDT]
2 > >
3 > > The actual powers/role of devrel has always been a grey area.
4 >
5 > No it hasn't, unless by 'gray area' you mean 'a few people who don't
6 > like devrel claim it shouldn't be able to do anything because drobbins
7 > set it up'
8 >
9 > Recruitment, conflict resolution, disciplinary issues. I.e., 'managing
10 > developers.'
11
12 I'm not sure that's entirely correct. I seem to remember at least one
13 devrel dev stating that when it comes to devs who violate technical
14 policies (not using repoman, repeatedly breaking sections of the tree,
15 etcetera) that enforcement should be left up to the appropriate
16 managers, not devrel. The argument was that devrel devs are often not
17 experts in the technical aspects, so it's hard for them to adjudicate
18 effectively.
19
20 Of course, I could be entirely mistaken, but I know that I'm not the
21 only person who has this impression.
22
23 -g2boojum-
24 --
25 Grant Goodyear
26 Gentoo Developer
27 g2boojum@g.o
28 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
29 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76