From: Stefan Schweizer <sschweizer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please follow keywording policy
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:43:15
1 On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 20:18:35 +0100, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > I had a fcdslsl for about ... well... two days (and no Internet in that
3 > time :-) ).
4 The fcdslsl driver in portage was not that advanced by then I guess.
5 > It's about as crappy as most "softmodems". I'm back to an external
6 > pppoe-based DSL modem since it just works.
7 Quality of softmodems depends on the drivers .. if you use crappy
8 drivers you get disconnects every half an hour ..
9
10 The disadvantage of my external modem is that it has a router and some
11 other things included which I cant use(only one ethernet
12 port+passwordprotected by provider), its another box in the crowded
13 computer-room and it nevertheless needs an ethernet-card in the
14 computer. I am almost sure power consumption does also matter for that
15 extra 24/7 box.
16
17 > I can only imagine the horrors of getting the others to work :-)
18
19 no horrors here .. was actually pretty easy
20 ebuild /path/to config
21 sets everything up.
22
23 > No thanks. AVM has gone from "very good" to "cheap broken stuff" in a
24 > very short time :-(
25 So everything form AVM has gone to "cheap broken stuff", because you
26 were not able to set up your dsl-card? Please give us some moer
27 examples .. I think they are actually pretty cool, especially the new
28 fritzboxfons.
29 > I still have a fcdslsl and an external pppoe-based DSL modem lying
30 > around for any interested devs.
31
32 What pppoe-based DSL modem? Is it an usb-one that needs special
33 drivers? Or just one of the ethernet-connected that works
34 out-of-the-box?
35
36 Regards,
37 Stefan