From: Steve Ackerman <steve@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Install Instructions
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:28:01
1 How about adding a small section for installation of a software RAID
2 system. It would be nice to show a brief overview of how to get this
3 working...
4
5 Michael Lang wrote:
6
7 > At 01:19 PM 3/15/2002 -0600, you wrote:
8 >
9 >> 1. In either the "/etc/localtime" or the "/etc/rc.conf" section add a
10 >> note about setting "localtime" or "UTC", I thought that most people
11 >> use localtime, so maybe it should be default in /etc/rc.conf(which is
12 >> unrelated to this of course).
15 > What's the verdict on this one? I think I put localtime, thinking UTC
16 > might mess up my dual booting back to Windoze, but not sure.
17 >
18 >> 2. In the "Final Configuration" section you didn't mention lilo in
19 >> summary since you added it; also, in the "lilo" section it almost
20 >> seems like that is the next step, maybe show that you can do lilo or
21 >> grub, user following down the list might not realise or may do both.
24 > Good points here. Turned this into a Bootloader chapter with overview.
25 >
26 >> 3. Link or more info on USE flags would be awesome.
29 > I'm not really qualified to write about the USE flags. Anybody want
30 > to provide me with a paragraph or two? Or if there's a url somewhere
31 > covering this, please point me there.
32 >
33 >> 4. In the "Setting up partitions" section, note about ext2/3 being
34 >> resizeable, xfs growth but not shrink, etc. would be helpful. I
35 >> realize you have a link to in-depth discusion about filesystems, but
36 >> I don't think this was discussed in those articles either. Also a
37 >> not about parted and/or fips and other tools to modify partitions.
40 > Again, I'm not really qualified to write this up. If there's any
41 > volunteers or someone can point me to some good docs, I'll be glad to
42 > add info to docs...however, I'm not sure we want to put *every* sort
43 > of detail into the install docs as this tends to clutter it a good bit.
44 >
45 > I tried to clean up a lot of this clutter..while I have definitely
46 > trimmed a lot of fluff out, I don't think I've deleted any actual
47 > information, yet. A lot of things got pushed to the top into the
48 > Overview chapter and then where ever I spotted the info being
49 > rehashed, I zapped it.
50 >
51 > One thing I'm curious about is the Important Note about being at
52 > FOSDEM...is this a note affecting the vast majority of installers
53 > (i.e. something that should definitely be left in), or is this a
54 > highly targeted notes to Gentoo developers or from earlier Gentoo days?
55 >
56 >> 5. Booting section, maybe make link to 3 separate pages, rather than
57 >> all in one, same with lilo and grub install section.
60 > I thought about doing this as well, but figured people might want to
61 > be printing the guide out because they are potentially going to be
62 > offline for a while while bringing new system on-line. Any others
63 > with feedback?
64 >
65 > I have been re-drafting as ideas come in. Please check out latest
66 > revisions at:
67 >
68 > http://www.gibberishcode.net/gentoo-web/xsl/build.html
69 >
70 > Michael
71 >
72 > President
73 > www.cybrains.net
74 >
75 > "All things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler" -- Albert
76 > Einstein
79 > gentoo-dev mailing list
80 > gentoo-dev@g.o