From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:58:31
1 On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Johannes Huber <johu@g.o> wrote:
2 >> scarabeus suggested the change "dev should use latest eapi when bumping"
3 >> to "dev must use latest eapi when bumping if not forbidden by eclasses".
4 >> He was asked to bring it up on the mailing lists, to get a better
5 >> definition of when what EAPI should be used.
6 >
7 > I raised the issue through scarabeus, as in my opinion there is no reason to
8 > not use latest EAPI. So please discuss.
11 I can't say I'm a big fan of this. This requires forcing changes to
12 ebuilds that offer no actual benefit to either the maintainer or the
13 end-users (changes that actually have some benefit to either are
14 likely to be made anyway). The PM maintainers have chimed in that
15 there is no benefit to PM maintenance from this change.
16
17 So, I can't really see what the upside of such a policy is.
18
19 The downsides are several - you're taking code that works and fiddling
20 with it, perhaps creating code that doesn't work. You're forcing that
21 development to take place in the newest EAPI, which is also the
22 version which the everybody has the least experience with (likely less
23 documentation online as well).
24
25 Developers have only a limited amount of time, and this will eat into
26 it. The result is likely to not be new shiny ebuilds that use the new
27 EAPIs, but rather old rusty ones that still use the old EAPI but also
28 which contain other bugs, since they don't get touched at all (since
29 touching them triggers the new policy).
30
31 For a real-world analogy - look at the result of well-intended laws
32 that require ADA compliance and such on building modifications. The
33 result is often stuff like kids taking classes in modular trailers and
34 such because in order to add an extension to the building you need to
35 bring the entire building up to code (and not just the new part). The
36 result isn't more elevators and ramps - but the use of hacked together
37 solutions to work around the policy.
38
39 If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
40
41 Now, if a maintainer actually needs a feature of a new EAPI, or an
42 ebuild contains a bug that can only be addressed by bumping it, then
43 by all means the maintainer should be revising the ebuild. Then there
44 is actually an upside to balance the cost.
45
46 Rich