From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:03:26
1 Am Donnerstag, 30. August 2012, 12:57:25 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Johannes Huber <johu@g.o> wrote:
3 > >> scarabeus suggested the change "dev should use latest eapi when bumping"
4 > >> to "dev must use latest eapi when bumping if not forbidden by eclasses".
5 > >> He was asked to bring it up on the mailing lists, to get a better
6 > >> definition of when what EAPI should be used.
7 > >
8 > > I raised the issue through scarabeus, as in my opinion there is no reason
9 > > to not use latest EAPI. So please discuss.
10 >
11 > I can't say I'm a big fan of this. This requires forcing changes to
12 > ebuilds that offer no actual benefit to either the maintainer or the
13 > end-users (changes that actually have some benefit to either are
14 > likely to be made anyway). The PM maintainers have chimed in that
15 > there is no benefit to PM maintenance from this change.
16 >
17 > So, I can't really see what the upside of such a policy is.
20 <rant>
21 Let's say, we as in Gentoo decide that we're completely sick of keeping all
22 that old code out there adjusted to newer and newer gcc versions that are more
23 and more critical towards minor details of the c++ standards. So, we declare
24 that gcc-4.5 has to be enough for everyone, we'll just keep it in tree forever
25 and dont bother anymore with all these superfluous "does not build with
26 gcc-4.7" bugs.
27
28 Well, newer gcc versions might have some very minor marginal advantages, but
29 they require that we mess with code that has worked for ages. They require
30 that we actually give some thought on the evolution of the language semantics
31 or nag upstream, but we can't really be bothered with that because of limited
32 time. Also, keeping gcc-4.5 will always (trivially) keep us backward
33 compatibility... much more important than forward compatibility, should
34 porting to a much never future version ever become necessary.
35
36 For a real world analogy, serious quakes happen only once a century... why
37 should we even bother with improving building codes? I mean, at some point in
38 the future things will fall apart anyway. Better dont shake anything in
39 between.
40 </rant>
41
42 Sorry but I could not really resist... please take it with a grain of salt.
43 However, seriously, ...
44
45 Give me one non-trivial ebuild where you can absolutely guarantee that a bump
46 from EAPI=0 to EAPI=4 will not enable any improvements (in readability,
47 failsafe behaviour and code size for example).
48
49 Last point, if someday the tree contains ebuilds with 7-8 different EAPI's,
50 we'll have succeeded in generating an unmaintainable mess (tm). It will not be
51 any fun to look up things in PMS anew everytime you edit something. (Was the
52 prayer to Paludis only required in EAPI=7 in src_prepare or in EAPI=8 in
53 pkg_preinst?) This problem could however also be solved by selectively phasing
54 out in-between EAPIs (i.e. deprecate EAPIs 1 and 3 asap).
55
56 Cheers,
57 Andreas
60 Andreas K. Huettel
61 Gentoo Linux developer
62 kde (team lead), sci, tex, arm, printing
63 dilfridge@g.o
64 http://www.akhuettel.de/