From: Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] YaST will be GPL
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:54:22
1 On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:47:21PM +0100, Aiko Barz wrote:
2 > Oh no!
3 >
4 > In germany almost all the users start with SuSE and switch to a
5 > different distribution sooner or later. One reason is YAST!
6 >
7 > For example: I switched, because YAST always destroyed my
8 > handmade configurations. Now this is long ago, but i figured out
9 > lately, that I couldn't send a DHCP-request, without creating some
10 > YAST-specific configuration files, which have to be made by calling
11 > YAST, of course.
12 >
13 > The 'Nürnberger Windows' doesn't want the user to know about the
14 > shell. I hope, gentoo has different aims. The people I know use
15 > gentoo not only because of the excellent packetmanagement. They use
16 > it, because the "Installation Guide" gives them a real good feeling!
17 >
18 > I don't read gentoo-user and I don't read the forum very often, so I
19 > can only talk about people i know: They prefer a distribution for the
20 > _shell_. That kind of distribution will not be a 'total world
21 > domination', of course, but it can still be something very special!
22 >
23 > My question: How important is the shell to the gentoo developers?
24
25 I don't think gentoo will ever change the distribution in a way
26 which forces you to use GUI tools.
27
28 About YAST, well i don't really know the latest versions, but i
29 think changing Gentoo to use YAST would need too many ugly core
30 changes.
31
32 Personaly i wouldn't like to see "if YAST then" code in the core
33 code of Portage, init, or other core parts of Gentoo and i think
34 enough others dislike that too :)
35
36 Christian
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list