From: Aiko Barz <aiko@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] YaST will be GPL
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:47:32
1 Oh no!
2
3 In germany almost all the users start with SuSE and switch to a
4 different distribution sooner or later. One reason is YAST!
5
6 For example: I switched, because YAST always destroyed my
7 handmade configurations. Now this is long ago, but i figured out
8 lately, that I couldn't send a DHCP-request, without creating some
9 YAST-specific configuration files, which have to be made by calling
10 YAST, of course.
11
12 The 'Nürnberger Windows' doesn't want the user to know about the
13 shell. I hope, gentoo has different aims. The people I know use
14 gentoo not only because of the excellent packetmanagement. They use
15 it, because the "Installation Guide" gives them a real good feeling!
16
17 I don't read gentoo-user and I don't read the forum very often, so I
18 can only talk about people i know: They prefer a distribution for the
19 _shell_. That kind of distribution will not be a 'total world
20 domination', of course, but it can still be something very special!
21
22 My question: How important is the shell to the gentoo developers?
23
24 Bis denne,
25 Aiko
26 --