From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for retirement of old gentoo 'versions'
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:10:09
1 On 07/03/04 Dylan Carlson wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 02 July 2004 5:37 pm, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > > Pinning versions in the profiles sounds pretty cool, but it turns
5 > > *every* package maintainer and arch maintainer into a profile
6 > > maintainer, which I think is a bad idea. It also bloats the portage
7 > > tree, since there would be multiple versions of every ebuild,
8 > > compared to the one or two for most packages that we have now. I
9 > > still think that the "pinned" tree should be a separate branch.
10 >
11 > It wouldn't turn everyone into profile maintainers -- it would just
12 > ensure that no ebuild gets removed accidentally that is required by a
13 > profile, by repoman's QA check. If that ebuild *needs* to be removed
14 > for any reason (let's say a vulnerability) then it would be up to the
15 > arch herds to update their profile(s) accordingly -- not up to the
16 > herd/maintainer of the package.
17
18 One major problem with version pinning in the profiles is that the
19 packages file is an *inclusion* mask, so if you specify one exact
20 version portage won't allow users to use any other version of that
21 package. I don't think that we want to force specific versions on users.
22 If we do so they will start to modify the profiles locally which would
23 be an even worse problem.
24 I could also imagine some problems related to the current implementation
25 of stacked profiles, but that's implementation specific.
26 If you only want a repoman check I'd rather recommend to introduce a new
27 file that contains names and versions of packages that have to be in the
28 tree for that profile, but anyway this needs a GLEP before it could be
29 considered.
30
31 Marius
36 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
37 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.