From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Linux 2.6.x
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:17:46
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Wednesday 22 October 2003 05:44, C. Brewer wrote:
5 <cut>
6
7 > Okay, this part comes across barely intelligible, but if it helps
8 > substitute TARGET= for SLOT=.. of course I did point out it was a
9 > suggestion, not a solution, and you have offered up what counterproposal?
10
11 <cut>
12
13 > "I" don't want to have it depend on a running kernel, or on a symlink, All
14 > I was saying is that in most cases it'd probably be just easier to boot
15 > into a running kernel and build your non-essential mod package, I realize
16 > that this is not always the case.
17 >
18 > > Yes, this thread invoked a lot of hot emotions from my side.
21 > > // Spider
22 >
23 > Well, guess what? I was pretty pissed off _before_ I saw your mail, so you
24 > can imagine where I'm at now, especially since I've asked a couple of times
25 > why this symlink is necessary, when it's highly discouraged. If a package
26 > needs this symlink, mask it, get it fixed upstream or dont carry it at all
27 > ffs. I point out the bad ones when I see them, and I atleast proffered a
28 > suggestion. I was civil when this was a discussion, but turning this into a
29 > pissing match was sheer stupidity. But I guess I'm just the stupid end user
30 > with no say, I guess? Atleast when I'm being a prick, I only represent me.
31
32 This symlink is not highly discouraged. It is highly discouraged to use a
33 plain kernel tree as source for the /usr/include/linux headers. Those
34 symlinks mean problems. It is also discouraged to assume that /usr/src/linux
35 points to the RUNNING kernel, those sources can be found by /lib/modules/
36 `uname -r`/build. However in this case we want a way against which kernel
37 modules should be build.
38
39 I wonder why you insist on having an awkward, notworking way of doing so.
40 Gentoo is about unattended installs. Such an environment variable violates
41 it. Further it would break initial installs. When one does an emerge kde
42 after system is just merged, it will pull in a kernel source (for alsa),
43 however if you don't specify your variable building alsa-driver still fails.
44 However the kernel sources automatically install the linux symlink if it did
45 not exist yet (but not change it if it did). Of course we could use another
46 name/location, but I don't see the point.
47
48 Paul
49
50 - --