From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping slotted boost
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 19:33:41
1 On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:30:16 -0700
4 > Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Given the amount of headaches that Boost seems to give us all, now
7 > > thanks to the recent changes even more because Gentoo's boost is
8 > > different from all others and no upstream default check seem to work
9 > > correctly with it, I'm questioning the usefulness of having it slotted.
10 >
11 > Could you elaborate on that? I don't remember having problems with
12 > boost.m4 or cmake's default checks unless I'm missing something which
13 > is obvious to you.
14 >
15 > > So given that it's a PITA for the maintainers, a PITA for the users,
16 > > eselect boost has been shown to be a bad idea and so on ... can we just
19 > How are you going to solve the issue of a lot of packages being broken
20 > with new boost versions? Are you volunteering to keep fixing them with
21 > each release?
24 It's worth noting that Boost themselves recommend developers inline the
25 code they want to use.
26
27 I've never understood why Gentoo uses a separate ebuild for it. I mean, I
28 can understand some efficiency gains from having a single compiled copy,
29 but it shouldn't be surprising in the least when upstream makes breaking
30 changes in the API.
33 :wq