From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:06:15
1 Steve Long wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> Steve Long wrote:
4 >> | How serious an issue is it in terms of deps on sys pkgs?
5 >>
6 >> Very. It means we can't realistically handle packages that, by using
7 >> autotools, depend upon the fifty odd system packages that are used by
8 >> autotools-generated code.
9 >>
10 >> | > | > DEPEND="virtual/c-toolchain" would indeed be nice, but it's a
11 >> | > | > rather large change...
12 >> | > | >
13 >> | > | How so? Isn't it simply a new meta?
14 >> | >
15 >> | > And an entire tree to update before it becomes meaningful.
16 >> | >
17 >> | Sure, but the changes can propagate thru as people update their
18 >> | ebuilds, no?
19 >>
20 >> The tricky part then is figuring out whether something doesn't dep upon
21 >> c-compiler because it doesn't need one or because the ebuilds haven't
22 >> been updated.
23 >>
24 > I'm out of my depth here- I can't see where that would be a problem?
27 Er, his point being that if you don't do the upgrade all at once, you
28 have two classes of package.
29
30 1. Packages that don't require C-compiler
31 2. Packages that don't yet depend upon C-compiler
32
33 When doing the upgrade over a period of time the two classes of package
34 become indistinguishable. Does Foo not need a C compiler, or has it
35 just not gotten updated yet, it's impossible to tell without looking, so
36 it's very difficult for people to report 'problem packages' because they
37 have to unpack and examine the package every time (at worst).
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list