From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 09:47:06
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 >>> The tricky part then is figuring out whether something doesn't dep upon
3 >>> c-compiler because it doesn't need one or because the ebuilds haven't
4 >>> been updated.
5 >>>
6 >> I'm out of my depth here- I can't see where that would be a problem?
9 > Er, his point being that if you don't do the upgrade all at once, you
10 > have two classes of package.
11 >
12 > 1. Packages that don't require C-compiler
13 > 2. Packages that don't yet depend upon C-compiler
14 >
15 > When doing the upgrade over a period of time the two classes of package
16 > become indistinguishable. Does Foo not need a C compiler, or has it
17 > just not gotten updated yet, it's impossible to tell without looking, so
18 > it's very difficult for people to report 'problem packages' because they
19 > have to unpack and examine the package every time (at worst).
20 >
21 I understand that there'd be two types of pkg in the tree; what I don't get
22 is why that is such a problem. Excuse my missing something obvious. What do
23 you mean by a `problem package' in this context?
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list