From: Jonathan Hunt <jhuntnz@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: pantera@×××××.org, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] installing
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 23:17:55
1 On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:01 am, Pieter Breed wrote:
2 > hi
3 >
4 > i am looking to do the switch from RH 7.3 to gentoo 1.4 rc. I am in the
5 > situation that I don't have a fast ethernet connection but I do have a
6 > modem, which will be what I have to use to install gentoo.
7 >
8 > Is it possible to predownload the required files so that I can do a install
9 > without having to be connected during the install ? Can I skip the
10 > networking setup in the install ? Is this wise ? I will have to use
11 > something like wvdial to connect to the internet. Doesn't this program set
12 > up routing and dns'ing and everything for you ?
13 >
14 > Thank you very much. I look forward to trying out gentoo. Can you as an
15 > aside give me any kind of release-date for 1.4 final ?
16 >
17 > regards
18 > pieter
19
20 What I ended up doing for my install (done over a modem) was setting up the
21 chroot environment under Mandrake (my old distro). This allowed me to install
22 all the packages I need under linux on the new system. I then rebooted,
23 configured X and setup kdm started KDE was on my way. This way you can still
24 use your computer while you are waiting for the downloads & compiling.
25
26 Just my 2c's.
29 Jonathan Hunt (The Real Jonathan Hunt) <jhuntnz@×××××××××××××××××.net>
30 Jabber at jhuntnz@××××××.sk
31 "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
32 Jim Elliot