From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Modular X plans
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 05:31:54
1 On 2/8/2005 16:30:45, Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.- (msterret@××××.com) wrote:
2 > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'm still awaiting any solid arguments against x11-proto, and they had
5 > > best be expedited (read below for why).
6 >
7 > Well, I kind of mentioned it on irc, but I'll throw it out here too.
8 > I think the name "proto" is pretty vague and would prefer
9 > to see headers (ala sys-kernel/linux-headers, etc.) but since upstream
10 > uses that name, I guess I can live with it.
11
12 IMHO living with the upstream name is worth more than renaming to 'x11-headers'.
13 It isn't an extraction/repackaging of something else (c.f. sys-kernel/linux-headers),
14 which would be implied by a name different from upstream. x11-proto does include
15 the docs for the apis as well, so that's a small point against renaming to x11-headers.
16 In the long term, people programming to the x11 protocol will be conditioned to
17 program against the upstream 'proto' module, so sticking with that name shouldn't
18 really cause any confusion.
19
20 Kev.
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list