From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: patches.gentoo.org
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:00:41
1 On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 17:05 -0400, Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > I agree, this would be a very good policy to put into place. Removing
3 > all of the patches from the tree will help to reduce its size, by how
4 > much has already been a topic of debate, but it would help regardless.
5 > If it doesn't make that big of a difference now, it has the potential of
6 > stopping this from becoming a bigger problem in the future.
7
8 I know that I have mentioned this before, but having a set of -release
9 trees would also alleviate much of this. There would be less reason for
10 keeping around so many older ebuilds in the -current tree, as they would
11 still be available in the -release trees. The real concern with any
12 separation of the tree is how do we keep them all up to date with
13 security patches and such. This would still need to be addressed and I
14 am still working on a good solution.
15
16 > The tree is growing at a very large rate and rsync times are taking a
17 > lot longer now than they did for me a year or so ago. Removing all of
18 > the patches from the tree will definitely help this, but I think other
19 > policies should be more strictly inforced as well. There are some very
20 > large files in the tree currently that aren't patches, like enormous
21 > Changelogs for a few packages, and also a lot of old ebuilds that are
22 > sitting around for some packages. It'd be nice if the tree was kept as
23 > clean as possible to keep rsync times down as much as possible.
24
25 Perhaps some way of moving the ChangeLog files themselves out of the
26 tree and into some other location where they could be pulled as-needed.
27 This would be a good place to start, as the ChangeLog is not used by
28 portage itself and is only informational for the users and developers.
29 The only thing that would need to be changed is the -l option to portage
30 would need to be modified to pull the data from the web (or wherever)
31 instead of the tree.
32
33 The real problem we run into with almost any solution is to get any real
34 gains we have to make drastic changes to the tree which could break
35 older releases and people's installs that haven't been keeping up to
36 date. As a good example, when we make changes to portage, they have to
37 be done incrementally and have to be able to co-exist with the way
38 things are currently, and also the way things have been, otherwise we
39 risk really causing trouble for many of our users.
42 Chris Gianelloni
43 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
44 Games - Developer
45 Gentoo Linux