From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support )
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 01:11:38
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Caleb Cushing wrote:
5 > I'd like to start with, I'm not trying to stir up trouble but since
6 > questions were asked i'll answer them.
7 >
8 >> If you think neither should exist why do you have an opinion about this at all?
9 >
10 > I merged the java-overlay into regen2 a couple of weeks ago. as of
11 > right now I've no plans to support java-experimental.
12 >
13 > I'm fine with overlays so long as working ebuilds spend no more than a
14 > few weeks in them. I have my own development branch and half the stuff
15 > that's in there that isn't in the main tree doesn't work. Things like
16 > perl 5.10 have been rotting in an overlay for a year. Funtoo ( under
17 > my direction ) and Regen2 have had it ~arch for over a month now. We
18 > found one bug post release thus far. I filed a bug on xorg-server
19 > 1.6.0 not being in tree. It was resolved fixed (in overlay) (which
20 > another bug clearly states it has amd64 build issues). since when has
21 > (in overlay) been an acceptable solution to a missing package? I said
22 > it before, the reason I like gentoo* distro's is I don't have to find
23 > the repository to get the latest package, that's just a pain, in
24 > ubuntu, in opensuse, in fedora... etc. But no more... officially
25 > supported huge overlays have ruined this.
26
27 The single tree model is not the only one, nor necessarily the best one.
28 I understand your concern, but as ciaranm argued in another thread, the
29 issues many people seem to have with overlays are caused by the current
30 level of support by Portage. What we need is better support for multiple
31 repositories, not to drop them.
32 As it has been discussed before, multiple repositories could even foster
33 the development in Gentoo, instead of halting it down - as quite a few
34 people seem to be affraid of. If we can have some repositories focusing
35 in certain areas or relaxing access rules to a few repos, some devs
36 might get more focused and some packages might find new maintainers and
37 or their way into "mainline" Gentoo.
38 One issue that has been raised is about having testing ebuilds in
39 overlays instead of the tree. In a few cases, we have ebuilds in
40 overlays, not because of the lack of QA of the ebuilds, but because of
41 the experimental nature of the packages or because of the difficulty in
42 making packages comply to Gentoo rules. One example of a package that
43 was never in the tree, but instead on an overlay was XGL. It was never
44 considered to be stable enough to get into the tree. KDE-4 work started
45 in overlays and was kept there until 4.0 because it was more flexible to
46 work in the overlay than it would have been to do it in the tree. By the
47 way, KDE-4 is a good example of how work in overlays can help the tree -
48 what we had for 4.0 and have now in the tree was mostly done by people
49 that weren't Gentoo devs. Work in these overlays has lead to an
50 injection of many new devs.
51
52 ...
53
54 > users don't know how to hack. the very definition of user says that,
55 > imo. There are developers, admins, and users. admins don't want
56 > overlays, they are supposed to be unstable. users can't hack, so what
57 > do they care. the problem is, an overlay has become a repo, I'm not
58 > sure that it was originally intended for that.
59
60 Fortunately, Gentoo users are not like some other distributions users.
61 I've seen many Gentoo users working in ebuilds and quite a few working
62 with devs to improve the Gentoo tree.
63 Most admins don't like unstable packages. Unfortunately quite a few of
64 them have to support new (testing) packages whether they like them or not.
65
66 ...
67
68 >> Further, overlays are good places to put ebuilds for software that is more
69 >> experimental than what's expected for ~arch. That includes live ebuilds. In the
70 >> end, overlays have a (far) lower level of guaranteed quality than the main tree,
71 >> for their ebuilds
72 >
73 > because ~arch is supposed to work? take open bug on wine-1.1.16 it
74 > doesn't build on amd64 and yet it's ~amd64. how about that nam ebuild
75 > that has invalid bash that I mentioned? that's some quality work
76 > there. The point is the tree is no better or worse than the overlays
77 > in many cases.
78
79 If anything, I've been hearing lately complaints about the testing
80 branch having become the new stable branch, not that it's terribly broken.
81
82 ...
83
84 > I've probably already offended a large share of people on this list,
85 > now lets see if I can offend a few more by soliciting.
86
87 I think you'll find a reasonable "tolerance level" in this ml about
88 technical issues and development models.
89
90 - --
91 Regards,
92
93 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
94 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / SPARC / KDE