From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Value of Continuous integration vs Code Review / Pull Requests
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 01:42:41
1 On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 11:17 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 16:34 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > The pull-based mirroring is a bit sad, as it would be nice to auto-update
5 > > some forks, but it's not a killer feature.
6 >
7 > Exactly. Especially that our push-based mirroring is better,
8 > and I think that's how we want to populate it.
11 So you want to keep gitolite then?
15 > > I think our new SSO solution
16 > > could potentially be a fix for the auth subsystems, but more work there
17 > > will be needed.
18 >
19 > I think SSO should be the primary login to our GitLab, especially for
20 > our users. GitHub login is a must.
23 I'm fairly sure both gitlab and gitea support this requirement.
27 > > Another major issue is operating the software. I haven't found anyone to
28 > > *run* gitlab; I'm not eager to do it. Today Gentoo is mostly distributed,
29 > > bugs are in bugzilla, wiki is on mediawiki, code is on gitolite with N
30 > > mirrors, email and lists are separate, etc. In a world where bugs, wiki,
31 > > code, ci, containers, PRs, are all on gitlab and it breaks and we can't
32 > fix
33 > > it; it will be bad news for all of those things. If the bugzilla machine
34 > > breaks we lose bugzilla; if gitlab breaks we lose the ability to edit the
35 > > wiki, file bugs, commit, run CI, etc.
38 > But who says we want to migrate them all into GitLab? I thought our
39 > primary goal was to replace today's GitHub use, i.e. provide
40 > an alternative pipeline for pull/merge requests.
43 Oh I don't, but we then need to disable all of them and restrict their
44 usage.
45
46 -A
50 > --