From: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bash-4.4 - call for testers
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 05:33:23
1 On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 18:18:17 +0800
3 > konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I should also add that a dynamic "default" that varies depending on
6 >> the version doesn't sound good to me. For one at least, it confuses
7 >> the user.
8 >
9 > I agree that its a bit unintuitive.
10 >
11 > However, the alternatives are:
12 >
13 > - A useflag that entirely goes away depending on the version
14 > - A useflag that is inoperative depending on the version
15 >
16 > Neither of those are improvements.
17
18 "A useflag that entirely goes away depending on the version" (or a
19 flag that is implemented in one ebuild but is not on another) is
20 pretty common among packages and I see that as totally valid, and is
21 way better than a solution that uses dynamic default.
22
23 > And in both cases they're additionally messy as they require
24 > additional logic that changes what DEPEND is based on the version.
25
26 Doesn't look so messy to me. My solution is pretty clean and
27 understandable. It would only depend on how it is perceived by the
28 reading coder. The bash ebuild was also already hacky enough. Maybe
29 you're just being conservative because it doesn't always happen in
30 ebuilds.
31
32 >> Also, do you think there could be a helpful case that one would
33 >> install a non-release version of bash that compiles against the system
34 >> readline? Perhaps if you're also brave enough to install an
35 >> pre-release version of readline to the system, there is.
36 >
37 > If this scenario was the expected scenario for non-rc releases, its only
38 > sensible that the development versions should be testing that usecase.
39 >
40 > If for example the development versions always only tested using their bundled
41 > readlines, and then the non-development versions always used dependencies,
42 > then testing is somewhat pointless.
43
44 Pointless for bash, or applications that depend on readline as well?
45 Because if it's only about bash, I see no difference.
46
47 If someone would want to try a pre-release readline, nothing would
48 stop him from doing it.
49
50 > Because you're no longer testing for real world problems that would be possible
51 > due to using systemized dependenices.( ie: stipulating a new enough version,
52 > incompatibilities due to gentoo patching, etc )
53
54 If some maintainer would really want a pre-release bash tested against
55 an external pre-release readline, he's free to modify the ebuild to
56 work that way - just like how he uses to. We can even add an internal
57 non-importing custom variable so this could be easily configured. But
58 I don't think it's necessary to allow end-users to have that kind of
59 feature as well.
60
61 > "don't use external readline" would have to be the default of bash and
62 > everyone would have to be being encouraged to be using it that way in order
63 > for making the testing of that combination also a default.
64
65 Ok I don't -really- see that as a bad alternative. The only question
66 is, would everyone want that? And it still doesn't avoid the issue of
67 users not being able to make 'system-readline' only apply to release
68 versions of bash, once they enable it globally.
69
70 > Otherwise you're testing a situation that will never be a reality.
71
72 The difference in our view is whether we should allow users to test if
73 a -pre-release- bash would link and run well against a pre-release
74 readline, or not. That really isn't something to be concerned of, if
75 you consider that release versions would be tested anyway. Getting
76 those will-link-or-not-and-run-properly cases for pre-release versions
77 tested by developers should be enough.
80 konsolebox