From: Alex Xu <alex_y_xu@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:39:02
1 On 28/01/14 11:33 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > Here's a proposal that may address concerns from the long "rfc:
3 > revisiting our stabilization policy" thread.
4 >
5 > It seems at least one of the problems is that with old ebuilds being
6 > stable on slow arches but not the more recent ebuilds, it is a
7 > maintenance burden to keep supporting the old ebuilds even on fast
8 > arches where it's still stable.
9 >
10 > Why not allow maintainers to drop redundant stable and even ~arch
11 > keywords from their packages?
12 >
13 > Then these old ebuilds will stay with _only_ slow arch keywords. If they
14 > were working back then, they will continue to work now, since there are
15 > not that many changes to break things as opposed to faster-moving arches.
16 >
17 > What do you think? Please let me know if I should clarify this.
18 >
19 > Paweł
22 I thought there was a general consensus that only the latest stable on a
23 given arch is considered actually-stable.