From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: keyring
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:25:39
1 On 4/20/08, Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
2 > for what it's worth, as a gnome dev I didn't see any convincing
3 > arguments as to why it should be renamed. Gnome makes things optional
4 > for other to reuse (like xfce) but afaik no other "keyring" like
5 > programs are optional deps of another package in portage. Let's not cast
6 > a simple change into breakage for users already using it (even in
7 > stable, and yes I'm lazy :D).
8
9 Lazy is the word.
10 I cannot argue with this one, I just know that it won't be the gnome
11 herd who do the work when the time come to fix this (resolve
12 conflict).
13 The gnome herd will re-introduce the lazy ticket, and make other herd
14 use yet another confusing USE flag.
15 This is not the right way to maintain long term constants.
16
17 You asked for objections... You got some.
18
19 You can leave this local USE flag, and stay with generic term.
20 Or you can rename it when it goes global so it have proper name.
21 You can also ignore this and force gnome onto all users.
22
23 Alon.
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list