From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] extending existing EAPI semantics
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:33:16
1 On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:20:04AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:56:23 -0700
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > * easy to shoehorn in for any profile.bashrc compliant manager
5 > > (portage/pkgcore); realize paludis is left out here (via it
6 > > intentionally being left out of PMS atm by ciaran), but
7 > > profile.bashrc *is* used by ebuild devs, thus it's a viable course (I
8 > > don't see profile.bashrc ever going away basically).
9 >
10 > If profile.bashrc is to be kept, it means massively reducing what can
11 > be done in there.
12
13 Restraint in use of profile.bashrc is a per community QA measure, not
14 a format restriction- think through the other "this is better for QA"
15 things I've suggested PMS wise, you've responded in the same manner.
18 > > * doesn't address versioning changes.
19 >
20 > Or indeed any change where the ebuild can't be visible to older package
21 > managers without breaking them.
22 >
23 > So basically it's not a solution at all.
24
25 Name a scenario.
26
27 Note, if the scenario is "pm doesn't support eapi function, and
28 doesn't support profile.bashrc", skip it, you're repeating what I
29 already laid out (which results in visible bash complaints, but the
30 manager still labeling the eapi inoperable).
31 ~harring