From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conversion of Emacs virtual packages
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 17:56:46
1 >>>>> On Wed, 16 May 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >> virtual/emacs
4
5 > You made a new-style virtual with the same name as a package? This
6 > can cause problems with binary package usage, as you will now end up
7 > with two packages with the same "name" but different versions.
8
9 There are several others, BTW:
10
11 {virtual,media-libs}/glut
12 {virtual,sys-devel}/pmake
13 {virtual,dev-db}/mysql
14
15 New-style virtuals are just *packages*, or did I get this completely
16 wrong? So how is this situation different from two packages with the
17 same name, but in different categories?
18
19 > We likely won't be able to include emacs on Gentoo releases any more
20 > because of this. Just thought I would let you know.
21
22 If you believe that this will make users happy, go ahead. :7
23
24 Ulrich
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list