From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: the demise of grub:0
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 22:49:08
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2016, at 16:59 CDT, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > All,
4 >
5 > I want to look into removing grub:0 from the tree; here are my thoughts
6 > on why it should go.
7 >
8 > - the handbook doesn't document grub:0; we officially only support
9 > grub:2.
10 >
11 > - Removing grub:0 from the tree doesn't stop you from using it. If people
12 > really want it I will place it in the graveyard overlay.
13 >
14 > - grub:0 is dead upstream. They have not done any work on it in years.
15
16 +1
17
18 Yes, let's lastrite it and put it into ::graveyard as well. People that
19 insist on using it can find it there then.
20
21 > - The only real problem with grub:2 has to do with pperception. Yes,
22 > their documentation has a strong preference toward using their
23 > configuration script (grub-mkconfig) to generate your grub.cfg, but
24 > this is not required.
25
26 On modern systems with UEFI and efi payloads we have the following
27 alternatives as well:
28
29 sys-boot/refind
30 sys-boot/systemd-boot (aka gummiboot) (alternatively sys-apps/systemd)
31 - direct efi stub loading
32
33 I don't see any compelling argument that grub:0 would be the only
34 alternative if one tries to avoid grub:2.
35
36 Best,
37 Matthias