From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Infra plans regarding $Id$ - official answer...
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 07:50:21
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 10:54:57 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
5 > > They will be OpenPGP signed by a releng key during thickening and
6 > > portage will auto-verify it using gkeys once things are in place. As
7 > > such checksum for ebuilds and other files certainly needs to be part
8 > > of the manifest, otherwise it can open up for malicious alterations of
9 > > these files.
12 > As much as I'd love to see it all folded into git, the reality is also
13 > that git signatures are only bound to files by a series of sha1
14 > hashes, and sha1 is not a strong hash function. Git really ought to
15 > move to sha256 at some point, preferably in a manner that makes it
16 > expandable in the future to other hash functions. But, this isn't a
17 > high-priority for upstream.
18 >
19 > The same limitation is true of any git gpg signature, including tag
20 > signatures. It is all held together by sha1. The manifest system is
21 > much stronger.
22
23 OK, if manifests are that important, why not generate full manifest
24 during repoman commit? If we do not tamper with $Id$, the only file
25 outside of this manifest will be ChangeLog generated during rsync
26 propagation. Then we have following options:
27 - do not sing ChangeLog: even if it will be tampered, little harm
28 can be done, since it doesn't affect live system or build process;
29 - sign ChangeLog with releng key;
30 - sign developer-signed manifest + ChangeLog with releng key. Thus
31 we'll have double signature for most important files.
32
33 Best regards,
34 Andrew Savchenko