From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Infra plans regarding $Id$ - official answer...
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:55:08
1 On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
4 >> 2. The question is why manifests are modified for rsync. In git
5 >> manifests are thin (only distfiles are there), in rsync they also
6 >> contain checksums for ebuilds and files dir content. Do we really
7 >> need this? These manifests are not signed now, so of little use.
8 >
9 > They will be OpenPGP signed by a releng key during thickening and
10 > portage will auto-verify it using gkeys once things are in place. As
11 > such checksum for ebuilds and other files certainly needs to be part
12 > of the manifest, otherwise it can open up for malicious alterations of
13 > these files.
16 As much as I'd love to see it all folded into git, the reality is also
17 that git signatures are only bound to files by a series of sha1
18 hashes, and sha1 is not a strong hash function. Git really ought to
19 move to sha256 at some point, preferably in a manner that makes it
20 expandable in the future to other hash functions. But, this isn't a
21 high-priority for upstream.
22
23 The same limitation is true of any git gpg signature, including tag
24 signatures. It is all held together by sha1. The manifest system is
25 much stronger.
28 Rich