From: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] f77 is now just plain old fortran in preparation for gcc4
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:36:08
1 M. Edward Borasky wrote:
2 > 1. You might want to post this to "gentoo-science"; that's where most
3 > FORTRAN aficionados, like myself, hang out.
4
5 added to CC. for those of you who just tuned in, this thread started at:
6 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/22747
7
8 > 2. How far "very ahead-of-time" are we talking here? I haven't heard
9 > anything about GCC 4.x on the R mailing lists, which is where I'd expect
10 > to see the most scrambling about and beta-testing.
11
12 my guess is slightly less than 2 months before the release branch is
13 made. the stated goal for making a release branch is less than 100
14 regressions, and there are currently about 200 targeted at 4.0. also
15 objc++ support was supposed to be merged in before release, and that
16 hasnt even happened yet... so i might be overly optimistic in that
17 guesstimate.
18
19 i'm mainly working on gcc4 stuff now because it's even more strict than
20 3.4 in regards to what it will and will not compile.
21
22 > 3. I think rather than going with your ebuild, I'll build the whole
23 > thing in a user-space account from virgin upstream downloads. The "whole
24 > thing" in this case would be GCC 4, a development release of the Atlas
25 > linear algebra library, and a development release of R and its packages.
26 > That way it's easier for me to figure out who's messed up without
27 > burdening Gentoo with upstream bugs.
28
29 sounds like a good idea :)
32 Travis Tilley
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list