From: "M. Edward Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] f77 is now just plain old fortran in preparation for gcc4
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:27:29
1 On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 16:46, Travis Tilley wrote:
2 > the fortran-enabling logic in the gcc ebuilds + toolchain.eclass will
3 > now be controlled by the fortran USE flag instead of f77. This is some
4 > very ahead-of-time preparation for gcc 4.0, which doesnt support f77 as
5 > a gcc lang, but instead supports f95 (and may soon change the gcc lang
6 > option to plain old fortran as well). I've updated all profiles to also
7 > set fortran in USE by default, but some non-gcc ebuilds still use f77 to
8 > enable support, so I havent removed f77 from these profiles.
9 >
10 > This may or may not have been important enough to merit an announcement
11 > on gentoo-dev, but I've learned my lesson about making invasive changes
12 > without an announcement of some sort. ;p
15 > by the way, if anyone's masochistic enough to play with gcc4, I have an
16 > ebuild in my devspace you could use:
17 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~lv/gcc-4.0.0_alpha20041024.ebuild
18 >
19 > I havent yet updated it with the needed dependencies for enabling
20 > fortran95, or any other such nonsense... it was made just to test which
21 > ebuilds no longer compile with the yet-again-stricter gcc 4.0. have fun
22 > breaking your systems ;p
23
24 1. You might want to post this to "gentoo-science"; that's where most
25 FORTRAN aficionados, like myself, hang out.
26
27 2. How far "very ahead-of-time" are we talking here? I haven't heard
28 anything about GCC 4.x on the R mailing lists, which is where I'd expect
29 to see the most scrambling about and beta-testing.
30
31 3. I think rather than going with your ebuild, I'll build the whole
32 thing in a user-space account from virgin upstream downloads. The "whole
33 thing" in this case would be GCC 4, a development release of the Atlas
34 linear algebra library, and a development release of R and its packages.
35 That way it's easier for me to figure out who's messed up without
36 burdening Gentoo with upstream bugs.
42 > Travis Tilley
43 >
44 > --