From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LDFLAGS=-Wl,--hash-style=gnu
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 03:11:37
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > I'm just wondering... unless it has changed since last time I installed
3 > Gentoo Linux, but isn't the installation manual on purpose conservative
4 > with CFLAGS? make.conf.example also does not much more than
5 > "-march -O2 -pipe". -O1 to the linker feels conservative to me. Still,
6 > do we really need to go any further? Why not make additional pointers
7 > to possible values for LDFLAGS like we do for C(XX)FLAGS in the
8 > installation manual?
9
10 CFLAGS != LDFLAGS, so the installation handbook has never covered them.
11 And yes, we are conservative in our documentation with regards to
12 optimization, because that's the smart choice.
13
14 Ya'll may want to take a look at the compilation optimization guide at
15 [1], specifically the FAQ on LDFLAGS. I may need to reword this section
16 a bit given how the stance on LDFLAGS has shifted.
17
18 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-optimization.xml#doc_chap3_sect4